Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My "go-to" chocolate fix!


It's been a while and I actually considered not doing this anymore which I know is funny but I remembered the main reason I started this was to have a place to journal my recipes and experiences on our health journey; something I can reference for years to come. So, I have no idea who reads this outside my family, but if anyone wants to comment or ask for recipe suggestions, healthy questions, etc I would love to help! Until then, I will just stick to my own random bloggings! :)

Today, I want to highlight what has become a staple in our house and something I always have in our freezer (except at the current moment and man am I sorry!) I adapted this recipe from a blog I follow, and it is quite easy to change up, but every time I have veered from this recipe, I find myself regretting it! You most definitely need a food processor, vitamix, or some sort of high powered blender/chopper. I used my food processor. These take literally 5-10 minutes to whip together; enjoy!

German Chocolate "Fudge" Balls

3/4 cup pitted dates (I buy the big tub at Costco and keep them in the fridge)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/16 tsp salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder (I use dutch but you dont need to)
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1/3 to 1/2 cup raw pecans
2 tbsp unsweetened carob chips (you could also sub chocolate chips)

*Literally throw all the ingredients into the processor and turn it on! Once the ingredients have combined into a paste, remove the "dough" and put it in a big ziploc bag, seal it, and form it into a log like shape using your hands to press it down. Then remove from bag and form balls with your hands. I usually get 15-20 balls from this depending on what size you make them.  When I made 17 balls once, I calculated that they were 73 calories each! Enjoy, I know I do! (Sorry I don't have a picture, but next time I make them, which will be very soon, I will update)-fixed it this morning :) Also, I should add that I LOVE to store these in the freezer; they are so good when you just want to pop one out for a treat!






Laura

1 comment:

  1. Hi sister! This sounds so easy even I could do it :-) Will give it a shot and let you know.
    I do have a request, do you have an easy recipe for homemade salad dressing?

    ReplyDelete